With the kids home from school we are all into nutritious, easy lunch and dinner options right? Here is an option you can literally throw together for lunch or dinner with easy to get ingredients. What I especially love about this recipe is the healthy fats like olive oil, avocado, egg and mayo that will have the kids full and satiated until the next meal. I promise these BLT salad bowls (serves 4) will have you and the kids enjoying lunch or dinner with gusto. Add the Gevity Rx Good Guts Mayo (order from me here) to add in extra taste, goodness and gut support. By increasing the quantity of ingredients need for this dish, you can prep once and make a few meals from this for the week. This recipe is dairy and gluten free and is suitable for vegetarian, paleo and keto diets.
- 4 Eggs
- 8 slices Bacon (see notes below)
- 8 cups Rocket
- 2 cups Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
- 1 Avocado (sliced)
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)
- Gevity Rx Good Guts Mayo
- Hard boil your eggs by placing them in a small pot and fill with enough cold water to cover them by 1-inch. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, cover the pot and remove it from the heat. Let stand for 12 minutes then drain. Place eggs in a bowl of ice-cold water for 10 minutes.
- While the eggs are cooling, cook bacon in a pan over medium heat until crispy. Remove from pan and pat and once cooled, chop it up.
- To assemble the salads: divide rocket between bowls and top with cherry tomatoes, avocado, chopped bacon and hard-boiled egg. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. If using the Good Guts Mayo, place a dollop on top of each nourish bowl. Enjoy!
- Leftovers – These salads make for great meal prep and last for 3 to 4 days in the fridge. Add the avocado, olive oil and if using, Great Guts Mayo just before serving.
- Vegan – Use smokey tempeh slices instead of bacon and omit the egg.
- More Carbs – Serve with toast or pre-cooked quinoa.
- Gut support – Make this even more kid friendly and gut supportive by adding Great Guts Mayo which is egg free and made with organic extra virgin olive oil, pre-biotics, fibre, bone broth and zero additives. It brings magic to kid’s tastebuds.
- No rocket? Use spinach or a mix of dark leafy lettuce greens instead
- Bacon – If you can source high quality organic or free range bacon that is nitrate free then great. If not, read the label and choose a brand that has as little preservatives, additives and numbers in it as possible. If you can get along to a weekend Farmer’s Market, there is often some small producers who have a great bacon product along these lines.
- No bacon? Use leftover chicken meat or quality cold meat cuts like free range ham or turkey slices
Serves 4. Remember to increase ingredients if wanting to create extra meals or leftovers.
If you loved this recipe, you might like my FREE Nourish Bowls recipe book – get it here.